CBSE Latest News for Board Exams 2023 - Exam Question Format Changed
The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has released the most awaited date sheet for the exams of classes 10 & 12. Students can check the updated CBSE timetable at cbse.gov.in.
In its most recent circular, the Board defined the Assessment and Evaluation Practices for the CBSE Board Exam 2022-23.
The evaluation matrix of the CBSE Board Exam 2023 Assessment Scheme has a key emphasis on Competency-Based Education. Correspondingly, board exams will include a higher proportion of Competency-Based Questions this year.
It is confirmed that at least 40% of the questions in the CBSE Class 10 exam and 30% of the questions in the Class 12 exam will be competency-based. These competency-based questions would include objective type, assertion and reasoning, constructing response type, and case-based questions.
What are Competency-Based Questions?
- Competency-based questions focuses on the ability of students to demonstrate their actual learning and proficiency in a subject.
- These questions are based on the Real Life Situations and check how you apply the concept.
Why Competency-Based Questions are Important?
- It promotes high-order thinking skills and facilitates multifaceted approaches as they are of vital importance in the real competitive world.
- It enhances social and emotional skills.
- It helps the student to be more competent universally.
- It facilitates the students to master a skill at their own pace, irrespective of the surrounding.
How to Prepare for Competency-Based Questions?
- Avoid Rote-Learning and Focus on Concept Clarity (Practical Knowledge)
Focusing more on concept clarity rather than rote learning is the only way to perfectly attempt the competency-based questions in your board exams. In pursuance of NEP 2020, CBSE is making some changes in its question format and confirmed that 40% of the questions in the CBSE Class 10 exam and 30% of the questions in the Class 12 exam will be competency-based.
Competency-based questions focuses on real life and some unfamiliar situations and evaluates how you apply the academic concept. In order to answer these kinds of questions, students can not merely depend on memorization. One should develop a thorough understanding of the subject and its usage in realistic scenarios.
No Term-Wise Exams in 2023
According to the CBSE Board assessment policy, the board proposes to discard the Two-Terms Exam Policy, which was implemented in the session 2021-22 due to the COVID-19 pandemic situation.
According to the CBSE Board latest notification, the board confirmed that, for this session 2022-23, the exams will not be conducted in two terms and the board exam will be held annually at the end of the academic session.
Download the Revised CBSE Class 12 Date Sheet
Students can download the revised date sheet from the official website of CBSE - cbse.gov.in.
We are providing the updated date sheet to make things easier for you.
Download the Revised CBSE Class 10 Date Sheet
To simplify things for you, here we are providing the direct link to download the class-wise timetable.
Modified Exam Pattern for CBSE 2023
- According to the latest circular, in the academic year 2022-23, the exams will be held annually only in one term as it used to be done in pre-pandemic years.
- According to the CBSE curriculum 2022-23, the question paper will be made from the whole syllabus.
- Question papers for Class 10 board exams in 2023 will contain 40% multiple-choice questions, 20% competency-based questions, and 40% subjective or short/long response type questions.
- The question papers for Class 12 would be 30% competency-based, 20% multiple-choice questions, and 50% subjective or short/long response type questions.
CBSE Class 10th Board Exams 2023 - Modified Question Pattern
According to the new modifications in the assessment policy of board exams 2022-23, in class 10th, at least 40% of the questions will be competency-based. These questions can be objective based, case-based, assertion, reasoning, constructing response type, and case-based questions.
Furthermore, 20% of the questions will be multiple choice, and the remaining 40% will be subjective questions / short answer or long answer type.
- 40% competency-based questions.
- 20% multiple-choice questions.
- 40% subjective questions.
CBSE Class 12th Board 2023 Exams - Modified Question Pattern
A minimum of 30% of questions in CBSE Class 12 final exams shall be competency-based in the form of objective-type, case-based, integrated questions, or assertion and reasoning, constructing response type. Moreover, multiple-choice questions will be weighted at 20%, and the remaining 50% will be subjective questions / short answer or long answer type.
- 30% competency-based questions.
- 20% objective questions.
- 50% subjective questions.
Download CBE Question Bank
CBSE has provided the sample question bank in order to familiarize students and teachers with the pattern of competency-based questions. You can check out the CBE (Competency-Based Education) resources on the official website of CBSE.
To make things simpler for you, we are providing the question bank based on competency-based questions. The same question bank is available on the CBSE official website as well.
If you are worried about preparing competency-based questions, follow Step Up Academy to clear all your queries.
Step Up Academy is a platform where you will find all the necessary & advanced material that will help you score the highest marks in the CBSE Board examination 2023. The mentorship of expert faculties at Step Up Academy will definitely help you succeed in your examination.
To get all the latest updates about CBSE Examinations 2023 and other educational news, stay connected with Step Up Academy.