How to start a career in sports after 12th? Top Institute, Courses, Scope, Jobs
Sports have always been an integral part of human life. They are not only a source of entertainment, but also promote physical and mental well-being. In recent years, there has been a rise in the popularity of sports and its various career opportunities.
In India, a career in sports was not given much importance in the past. However, with the increasing popularity of sports and the rise of successful sportsperson, there is now a greater awareness of the potential that a career in sports can offer.
If you are looking to make a career in sports, then this article is for you. It will give you an introduction to this career option and various courses, scope, jobs, and salary that a career in sports can offer.
Why Should You Choose a Career in Sports?
A career in sports can provide you with numerous benefits, not only in terms of both physical and mental health, but also in terms of financial stability. A career in sports has the potential to open doors to a variety of interesting and rewarding opportunities.
Some benefits of a career in sports include:
- A career in sports offers you the chance to work in a variety of different settings, including professional leagues, college sports, and youth recreation sports.
- As a sports professional, you have the power to shape the physical and psychological health of young athletes and help them reach their full potential.
- As a sports professional, you can enjoy the potential financial gain that comes with working in a successful field.
- Working in a career in sports offers you the satisfaction of knowing that you are helping to shape both the physical and mental development of young athletes.
- As a professional in the sports industry, you may enjoy the recognition and prestige that comes with working in an honorable field.
Courses to Pursue a Career in Sports
If you are interested in pursuing a career in sports, there are several avenues that you can take. Depending on your preferences, you might be interested in a variety of academic and practical courses such as:
A. Sports Science and Health – This type of course, will help you to understand the human body, sports nutrition, and exercise physiology to help athletes reach their fullest potential.
B. Physical Education – This type of program covers topics such as athletics, sports psychology, pedagogy and recreation, sports coaching, sports administration, and sport policy.
C. Exercise Science – If you are interested in delving into the technical and scientific aspects of the sport, then this type of course is the right choice for you. This course covers topics such as biomechanics, exercise physiology, and human performance, as well as how to design and implement effective programs to improve athlete performance.
D. Strength and Conditioning – This type of program will provide you with a foundation of knowledge in areas such as physiology, anatomy, nutrition, and motor development, which are essential in order to develop athletes and help them reach their fullest potential.
E. Sports Management – This type of program focuses on the business aspect of sports and provides an in-depth study of business theories and practices, marketing and promotion, sports law, sports sales and ticketing, sports finance, and sports facility management.
- Diploma in Sports Medicine
- Diploma in Sports Coaching
- Diploma in Sports Management
- Diploma in Sports Science & Nutrition
- B.Sc in Physical Education, Health Education and Sports Sciences
- Bachelor of Physical education
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Sports Management
- B.Sc (Hons) in Sports Science
- B.Sc in Sports and Recreation Management
- Bachelor of Sports Management (BSM)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) in Sports Management
- Master of Physical education
- M.Sc in Sports Coaching
- Post Graduate Diploma in Sports Medicine
- Post Graduate Diploma in Sports Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Sports Business
- MBA in Sports Management
- Master of Sports Management (MSM)
- M.Sc in Sports Science
Doctoral Degree Courses:
- Ph.D in Physical Education
- M.Phill in Physical Education
- Ph.D in Sports Management
Top Institutes Offering Courses Related to Sports
In India, there are several colleges that offer courses and programs related to sports, fitness, and physical education. Here are some of the top colleges for making a career in sports in India:
1. Lakshmibai National Institute of Physical Education, Gwalior (Madhya Pradesh)
2. National Institute of Sports, Patiala (Punjab)
3. Indira Gandhi Institute of Physical Education and Sports Sciences, New Delhi
4. SAI NS NIS Patiala (Punjab)
5. Amity School of Physical Education and Sports Sciences, Noida (Uttar Pradesh)
6. Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports, Kolkata (West Bengal)
7. Tamil Nadu Physical Education and Sports University, Chennai (Tamil Nadu)
8. University of Mumbai, Mumbai (Maharashtra)
Eligibility criteria to get admission to these colleges may vary based on the institution and the course you choose. However, in general, you may need to meet the following requirements:
For undergraduate courses, you should have completed your 10+2 or equivalent with a minimum percentage of marks, which may vary depending on the college and course.
For postgraduate courses, you should have completed your graduation in a relevant field with a minimum percentage of marks, which may vary depending on the college and course.
You may also need to qualify for the entrance exam conducted by the respective college or university. The entrance exam may consist of a written test, physical fitness test, and/or an interview.
In addition, some colleges may also require you to have a certain level of proficiency in sports, fitness, or physical education.
It is advisable to check the admission criteria of the respective colleges before applying.
Jobs in Sports Industry
There are a variety of jobs in sports which include coaching, sports medicine and management, marketing and sales, and facility management. Depending on the job, a person may need additional training or certification. These are some of the most common jobs in sports:
1. Coach – A coach plays an integral role in the success of a sports team, providing direction and guidance on technique, strategy, and tactics.
2. Sports Medicine – Sports medicine specialists diagnose, treat, and prevent injuries and medical conditions in athletes.
3. Sports Manager – Sports managers oversee the business and administrative side of the sports industry, managing budgets, personnel, and sports organizations.
4. Sports Marketing – Sports marketers help promote and sell products and services, as well as create and manage campaigns targeted towards athletes, fans, and sponsors.
5. Facility Management – Facility managers are responsible for the upkeep, maintenance, and operation of sports and entertainment venues.
These are only a few of the many jobs in sports. With the right training and certification, people can find a fulfilling career in the sports industry.
The sports industry is a rapidly growing field and offers a promising career path. There are a variety of courses and training opportunities available to individuals looking to gain an edge in the highly competitive world of sports.
It is important to understand that just having a passion for sports is not enough. You also need to be technically qualified and understand the different facets of the sports field. Additionally, gaining practical experience is crucial to success in this field.
Having a passion for sports and being technically qualified are important steps. However, being determined and committed are just as important in the job market. Therefore, focus on improving your skills and knowledge, understanding the industry, and gaining the relevant experience is key to securing a career in the sports industry.